The historic Peterson-Dumesnil House, located at 301 S. Peterson Avenue in the Crescent Hill neighborhood, is the perfect venue for weddings, engagement parties, bridal showers, luncheons, rehearsal dinners, receptions, corporate events or parties. Host at our house and let us help you plan a memorable event!
A Louisville landmark since 1869, the Peterson-Dumesnil House has hosted numerous events over the years, from community gatherings to weddings of all sizes. With its Italian villa façade, wrap around porch, spiral staircase, and, of course, the distinctive cupola, it’s a beautiful setting for your special occasion.
Photos by johnnationphotography.com and www.fusionphotopro.com
EVENTS AT A GLANCE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Vice President, Member-at-large
Ann Adams, Member-at-Large
Josh Davis, CHCC
Richard Humke, Member-at-Large
Armand Judah, CHCC
Barbara Ketcham, Member-at-Large
Don Krauth, Member-at-Large
Victoria Moll, Member-at-Large
John Nation, Member-at-Large
Jane Rose-Zupetz, Member-at-Large
Greg Smith, CHCC
Stewart Smith, Member-at-Large
A LOUISVILLE LANDMARK
Located in Crescent Hill, the Peterson-Dumesnil House was built in 1869 on 31 acres in the asymmetrical Italian villa style. The design has been attributed to Henry Whitestone, a well-known Louisville architect, whose other works include several major buildings on Main Street. Unusual for its time, the Peterson-Dumesnil House boasts 14 feet tall ceilings.
The Peterson-Dumesnil House possesses a long history of service beginning with eight decades of ownership and use by one family. The Peterson-Dumesnil House was built as a summer home for Joseph Peterson, a prominent tobacco trader. He died in 1889, leaving the property to his granddaughters, Eliza and Carrie Lindenberger. When Eliza married Harry Dumesnil, and Carrie married Edward Rowland, both families lived in the Peterson-Dumesnil House together. Eliza Dumesnil inherited the Peterson-Dumesnil House and lived in it until her death in 1948.
After Mrs. Dumesnil’s death, the Peterson-Dumesnil House and grounds were sold to the Louisville Board of Education. In the mid-50’s, it became a private teachers club, the only one of its kind in the country. In 1976, the Peterson-Dumesnil House achieved local landmark status, which protects it from exterior change without approval of the Louisville Landmark Commission. In 1977, the Crescent Hill Community Council leased the Peterson-Dumesnil House and made it available to groups on a rental basis. In 1982, when the Board of Education declared the property as surplus, the Peterson-Dumesnil House, carriage house and 1.3 acres were sold to the newly formed non-profit, the Peterson-Dumesnil House Foundation.
The Peterson-Dumesnil House now serves as a community resource, hosting numerous events throughout the year, such as the Fourth of July Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, and Holiday Open House to name a few. The Peterson-Dumesnil House also hosts the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra, Louisville Historical League, Crescent Hill Community Council, and Crescent Hill Garden Club monthly meetings in addition to private events.
All donations and rental proceeds are used to preserve and maintain the Peterson-Dumesnil House and grounds for future generations.
Powered by Squarespace